Online content is alive. A work in progress. An evolving entity. And that makes it really rather needy. So much so, it requires
At any given moment, there’s at least one piece of content on your website that needs attention.
It’s not ideal; it’s just the way of the (digital) world. A content audit ensures you manage that process effectively, helping you understand what content needs to be reviewed next.
What is a content audit?
Reviewing web content is a continual cycle. A content audit helps you with that decision-making process. By creating an inventory of your website’s pages, you can see what’s performing well. And, more to the point, what’s not.
An audit can tell you whether to:
- Ditch? Some content can almost certainly be deleted
- Keep? If it ain’t broke, and all that…
- Improve? What content can be made better?
- Add to? Identify any gaps in your content offering
- Consolidate? See what content can be repurposed or merged with other content
5 benefits of auditing your content
An audit helps inform your content strategy, creating a roadmap for future content creation. Benefits include:
- Data-driven insight: You make decisions based on fact, not assumptions
- Content and SEO opportunities: You identify high-performing content and repurposing options
- Better search engine ranking: Google will deem your content more relevant (and rank it higher)
- A better reader experience: Stale content is suddenly transformed into something your customers can’t get enough of
- Easy ongoing maintenance: You will have a clear, actionable plan of what is needed in the future
When you need a content audit
Regular content audits are a must. But you should also consider running a content audit if:
- Your organic traffic is down: Generally not an easy problem to solve, but a little digging into page performance can move you in the right direction
- Your website is a few years old: If you want to be seen as an authority, you need web content that is relevant. And that means up-to-date content
- You’re doing a website redesign/migration: A content audit will help you declutter and consolidate what’s on your website
- You’ve exhausted every avenue: Feel like you’ve said everything there is to say on your brand, product or service? An audit will fire up those creative juices
- You’re lagging behind the competition: One minute, you’re top of the Google rankings. Next, someone else is. How? They audited your site, that’s how. Time to fight fire with fire
What’s the Q content approach?
A content audit it is, then. The only thing is audits are time-consuming. Crucial, but ridiculously
So why not get someone else to do the work for you?
Enter: Q Content. We’re more than happy to get our hands dirty.
Once we’ve established your goals, we’ll turn our attention to your content:
- Gathering it: Creating an inventory of the content to be reviewed
- Categorising it: Ensuring the audit meets your needs
- Analysing data: Assessing the data according to your goals
- Sharing insights: Creating an action plan that will help you keep content in check going forward
Looking for a bit more order in your content?
Get in touch with Q Content today, using the form below, to start auditing your current website content and shaping your future marketing strategy.